Farhan´s Adventures in South America

The time came when I just had to pack a bag, and go.. why, or where exactly I didn´t know, but Lima was as good a place as any to start... and so the adventure began...

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Thurs June 23 - Macchu Picchu

Get up early in the morning, as we want to get an early bus upto Macchu Picchu, before it fills up with too many tourists. End up getting up there after the sun has risen, but it's light hasn't reached the ruins, since they're so high up. We start by walking through the ruins, towards the other mountain Wayna Picchu. We decide as a group that we'd like to go to the Temple of the Moon which is like the heart of Wayna Picchu first, and then spend time in Macchu Picchu.

The bus makes the ride upto Macchu Picchu easy - but walking from Macchu Picchu, up and around Wayna Picchu, is a real adventure (I guess I forgot to read the sign that said not to attempt the walk unless you had a good level of health!) Well after losing the rest of the group, and being supported by Vidal, who at times was my walking stick, as well as my safety rope, I managed to get about half of the way round, and decided I'd not go any further. I ended up sitting on the steps, and encouraged Vidal to go on, saying I would wait for the group to return, and would return with them.

Three or four hours later, the group starts coming past... I'd almost given up hope on them... but decided to carry on waiting. Whilst waiting, I'd met some wonderful people giving mostly smiles, and some coca leaves, to a few that seemed really to be struggling with the height.. There was one lady that even stopped to look straight at me, and shone a smile directly at me...
Eventually my group returned, and I made my way back. I had fortunately had a wonderful view straight at the back of Macchu Picchu, but I'd more importantly developed a patience whilst waiting... expectant, but not rushed for anything. On the journey back, I managed to slowly but surely get there.... last as usual! The rest of the group was returning to town, to meet Freddy, their Shaman from Chicago - but I was too tired to move, and decided I should stay a while here, and then spend a bit of time in Macchu Picchu since I wouldn't have time the next day. After spending perhaps another two or three hours in the ruins, meandering my way round, I end up leaving, getting back to the hotel, after spending over an hour talking to a lady in a spiritual new age store that happened to carry a banner of peace, as well as a Jose Arguelles Dreamspell book, and guide.

I have dinner alone, spend some time resting in the hotel, and end up getting to sleep quite late.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home