Farhan´s Adventures in South America

The time came when I just had to pack a bag, and go.. why, or where exactly I didn´t know, but Lima was as good a place as any to start... and so the adventure began...

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Fri 20 May - the adventure begins....

Flight left London Heathrow, at 08:20am, so you can imagine it was an early start!!
Fortuantely, everything took off on time, and I found myself in the air.. flying to Toronto...
It seems Air Canada is making cuts, and for them, a 7 hour flight means serving a snack for breakfast, and since we arrive in Toronto just before 12pm, it was ok for a snack instead of 'lunch'. Still, I'd bought some food at the airport, which fortunately was enough to keep me going till my arrival into Toronto.

Left the airport, found the downtown bus, and made sure I got my transfer, so that for like 2 dollars I got from the airport, through the subway to the childrens hospital my niece was in. Upon arriving at the hospital, it took a while to find the information desk, but once I had, I saw a toy store that was selling amongst other things, large stuffed teddy's. So, having agreed with my brother that it would be nice to get a teddy bigger than our niece, I promptly hunted ou the biggest teddy I could afford on our budget.

Going up to the room where my niece was, I found my sister and my Mum, with my niece. It seems the men had gone to buy lunch... which suited me just fine! During the time at the hospital, my niece was fortunate enough to have neighbours from Waterloo, (at least a two hours drive from Toronto) come visit, and also bring her gifts. Then some Muslim brothers also came round, as they were visiting all the muslim kids in the hospital - seeing as it was Friday, the equivalent of the Islamic Sunday. Upon hearing about my journey to Peru (in the briefest of details, might I add!), one of the muslim brothers told me about a beautiful mosque in Santiago, in Chile, in Bolivia, and also in Argentina... so that if I had time during my four months he strongly recommended the mosque in Chile... So I took note.. don't know why, but Bolivia and Chile had already been mentioned to me earlier that day by my brother in law for the muslim connections out there... Perhaps it'll make more sense later on in the journey... for now I just took attention....

Then the funniest of 'manifestations' happened... I had wanted to get some Sushi for the journey to Peru - seeing as the flight left Toronto at 11pm, and I wasn't expecting much in the way of food judging by the last flight.. and as fate would have it, as I was thinking of sushi, I happened to find a sushi bar right there in the hospital... I had been thinking of hunting out the sushi restaurant I had seen right next to the coach station, but it seems I didn't need to... I thought it was a little freaky how I had been craving sushi, and all of a sudden it was available... but I figured it was probably the way the universe was working with me during this journey, so I gave my thanks, bought my sushi, and after being dropped off at the airport by my brother in law, finished off that sushi.

The flight to Peru put me right in the middle of the middle row, but fortunately, the seat to my left was empty, so I slept a little more lying down, than sitting up... The whole journey pretty much just disappeared into my sleep...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home