Farhan´s Adventures in South America

The time came when I just had to pack a bag, and go.. why, or where exactly I didn´t know, but Lima was as good a place as any to start... and so the adventure began...

Monday, June 13, 2005

Sun 29 May - Meeting the elders of Chinchero

Got picked up in San Blas, by Fredy (Puma's Spanish name..), stopped at the house to get supplies, and the rest of the family, and then went to Chinchero. Took stuff into Fredy's in-laws house in Chinchero, and then went upto church. Took part in mass, and then got to sit with the spiritual elders of Chinchero, as they welcomed Fredy into their council as their equal. I sat with Grandpa, since Fredy told me that everyone respected him, and as long as I was with him, no-one would mind me sitting there with them. We all had lunch, which was provided by Fredy and his family, then as they all went to play football, I went back to the house and rested.
Woke up and went downstairs, to find everyone there sitting and waiting. It seems I arrived at just the perfect time. Shared dinner, after the elders had performed a blessing with bread, again with each one taking their turn to say their piece, and congratulating everyone else. Everyone took shots of Piso, and Wine, and then after dinner, the music started. Eventually most of the men were up there dancing. I had the strangest feeling that I'd definitely seen half of the men before. When I later checked the book I had read by Joan Parisi Wilcox (Keepers of the Ancient Knowledge), there was no mention of any of the Chinchero spiritual elders there. Yet I was sure I had seen them whilst reading that book...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home